12 nabbed over robbery of Taiwanese YouTuber

12 Aug 2026 • 3:52 PM MYT
Daily Express
Daily Express

Daily Express Online (Malaysia) is Sabah's top-ranked & most viewed English news site. It is also Sabah's leading & most circulated daily English newspaper.

12 nabbed over robbery of Taiwanese YouTuber

Kuala Lumpur: Police have arrested 12 individuals who allegedly posed as public servants before robbing a Taiwanese YouTuber in Cheras here on Aug 1.

Kuala Lumpur police chief Datuk Fadil Marsus said all the suspects, aged between 26 and 48, were arrested in a special operation conducted in the federal capital, Selangor and Negeri Sembilan beginning Aug 2.

He said the arrests followed a police report lodged by a Japanese man, who informed police that his employer, a Taiwanese national working as a YouTuber, had been assaulted and robbed at Eko Cheras Residence.

“The victim sustained injuries and suffered losses estimated at RM35,000,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.

He said the suspects knew the victim had a substantial amount of cash in a high-value foreign currency, which became the initial trigger for their criminal intent.

Fadil said seven of the suspects were released on police bail on Aug 7 after their statements were recorded, while the remaining five are still in remand until tomorrow to assist in the investigation.

“The case is being investigated under Section 170 of the Penal Code for impersonating a public servant and Section 395 of the Penal Code for committing gang robbery.

“Police are actively tracking down one more suspect who is still at large,” he said.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved