
JAKARTA - The Philippines' Department of Migrant Workers said 24 Filipino crew members, all hotel staff or stewards, would fly to the Netherlands for quarantine, GMA News reported on May 10. The remaining 14, described as deck and engine staff, were expected to stay on the ship as it sailed to Rotterdam, then begin quarantine there.
The Filipino crew members had so far tested negative, Health Secretary Ted Herbosa said during the same online briefing. He said they would still be monitored because the incubation period could last for weeks, and that those without symptoms could later be cleared for return to the Philippines.
Dutch authorities said a flight from Tenerife carrying 26 MV Hondius passengers landed at Eindhoven Airport on May 10, including four people from the Philippines. A second flight for part of the crew was planned for the following day, according to a Netherlands government update published on May 10.
The same Dutch update said Dutch passengers would be quarantined at home for six weeks and non-residents would be housed in quarantine accommodation arranged by local public health authorities. The Netherlands said some crew members would remain on the MV Hondius to bring the vessel to Rotterdam.
The World Health Organization said in a May 8 disease outbreak notice that eight cases had been reported, including three deaths. Six were laboratory-confirmed hantavirus infections, all identified as Andes virus. WHO assessed the global public health risk as low, but the risk for passengers and crew on the ship as moderate.
The outbreak also drew a wider Asia-Pacific response. Australia said it would support a flight from the Canary Islands for six people bound for Australia, including four citizens, one permanent resident and one New Zealand citizen, ABC News reported on May 10. Reuters reported on May 11 that quarantine arrangements for the Australian returnees were still being finalized.
WHO recommends active monitoring and home or facility quarantine for high-risk contacts for 42 days after last exposure. It said Andes virus can spread between people in limited cases involving close and prolonged contact, but current evidence does not support quarantine for low-risk contacts.
