A Reddit post changed everything for Modest Mouse’s upcoming tour

EntertainmentMusic
3 Aug 2026 • 3:03 PM MYT
The Independent
The Independent

The world’s most free-thinking newspaper

A Reddit post changed everything for Modest Mouse’s upcoming tour

  • Modest Mouse guitarist Simon O'Connor will not join the band's upcoming tour after allegations surfaced that he sent inappropriate messages to an underage fan.
  • The band announced on Instagram that Seth Jabour of Les Savy Fav will fill in on guitar when the tour kicks off Tuesday, without commenting on the allegations.
  • A 17-year-old Reddit user posted screenshots that she alleges show O'Connor, who is in his 40s, sending her messages and an "erotic image" after first contacting her when she was 16. She said her age was listed in her profile.
  • Responding on Reddit, O'Connor denied knowingly messaging a minor, saying he mistakenly believed he was replying to an adult who had previously harassed him and that he accidentally sent a "tasteless meme," which he said he quickly unsent.
  • O'Connor apologized for what he called poor judgment and the distress caused, saying he unequivocally condemns sexual conduct involving minors while acknowledging that some people may not accept his explanation.

IN FULL

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved