Firefighter named as first victim of Hong Kong blaze as death toll hits 65

World
27 Nov 2025 • 11:07 PM MYT
The Independent
The Independent

The world’s most free-thinking newspaper

image is not available

A firefighter has been named as one of the 65 people killed in the massive blaze that engulfed a Hong Kong apartment complex on Wednesday.

Nearly 280 people were still unaccounted for as firefighters battled one of the city’s deadliest fires for the second day on Thursday.

The blaze started on the external scaffolding of a 32-storey tower, engulfed its bamboo scaffolding and construction netting, moved inside the building, and eventually leapt to nearby high-rises, likely aided by windy conditions.

Firefighters aimed water at the flames from high on ladder trucks but conditions remained challenging for fighting the fire and rescuing people.

One of the fighters, Ho Wai Ho, 37, died while saving residents at the Wang Fuk Court building in Tai Po.

He was found collapsed at the scene of the fire and immediately taken to the Prince of Wales Hospital, the fire department said. Despite efforts, he succumbed to his injuries at 4.41pm local time, according to the city administration.

image is not available

Ho served with the Fire Services Department for nine years, and was stationed at the Sha Tin station as a member of the “small relief” team. Authorities and his friends mourned and paid tribute to his “gallantry and selfless devotion to duty”.

Chinese president Xi Jinping expressed condolences for the firefighter and extended sympathies to the families of the victims, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Friends on social media mourned Ho and shared a picture from his graduation. “Please remember the hero’s face. We won’t forget you,” a message with the photo read. “Thank you for giving everything for us. You’re off duty now, rest well bro.”

Hong Kong chief executive John Lee said he was deeply saddened that the blaze had killed many people, including the firefighter.

Fire services director Andy Yeung said that Ho’s performance was “valiant”. “I am profoundly grieved at the loss of this dedicated and gallant fireman,” he added. “All of our colleagues are deeply saddened by the loss of such a devoted comrade. On behalf of all our colleagues, I have offered the deepest condolences to his family.”

image is not available

In the wake of the fire, Hong Kong authorities arrested an engineering consultant and two directors of a construction company on suspicion of manslaughter.

The housing complex engulfed by the fire consisted of nearly 2,000 apartments across eight buildings for about 4,800 residents, including many elderly people. It was built in the 1980s and had been undergoing a major renovation.

Nearly 900 people were evacuated to temporary shelters overnight and Mr Lee said at midnight that at least 279 people were missing.

View Original Article