Former 1MDB CEO denies treating Jho Low as prime minister

LocalPolitics
18 Aug 2026 • 9:14 PM MYT
The Sun Daily
The Sun Daily

For the latest news and features from Malaysia and the rest of the world.

Image from: Former 1MDB CEO denies treating Jho Low as prime minister

Former 1MDB CEO Shahrol Azral denies treating Jho Low as Malaysia’s prime minister during testimony in the RM1MDB civil suit

KUALA LUMPUR: Former 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) chief executive officer (CEO) Datuk Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi told the High Court today that he did not “treat” fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho, or Jho Low, as the country’s Prime Minister.

However, the 56-year-old, testifying as the fourth plaintiff witness in 1MDB’s USD5.64 billion civil suit, said he had communicated with then prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak through informal channels, namely via Jho Low.

He said this during cross-examination by lawyer G.K. Ganesan, who represents former 1MDB investment director Kelvin Tan Kay Jin, the seventh defendant in the suit.

The issue arose when Ganesan asked whether Shahrol Azral had communicated directly with Najib about the dispute between two countries over the Serdar oil field project, which was related to the RM1 billion joint venture deal.

Ganesan: Did you think it was important or enough for the sitting prime minister (Najib) to know that two different countries were fighting over ownership of the Serdar oil field?

Shahrol Azral: Yes.

The witness also admitted that he did not know whether Jho Low had informed Najib about the dispute involving the Serdar oil field project.

Ganesan: For all intents and purposes, you treated Jho Low as if he was the prime minister of Malaysia.

Shahrol Azral: I disagree

1MDB and its subsidiaries – 1MDB Energy Holdings Limited, 1MDB Energy Limited, 1MDB Energy (Langat) Limited and Global Diversified Investment Company Limited, formerly known as 1MDB Global Investments Limited – filed the civil suit on May 7, 2021.

They named former prime minister Najib, 1MDB’s former finance director Terrence Geh Choh Heng, former executive director Casey Tang Keng Chee, former general counsel Jasmine Loo Ai Swan, Vincent Beng, former chief financial officer Radhi Mohamad, Kelvin Tan, and former chief investment officer Nik Faisal Ariff Kamil, as defendants.

Last week, 1MDB dropped its civil suit against Radhi, with no liberty to refile. The company had previously removed Jasmine from the case as well.

The writ of summons stated that the plaintiffs, among other things, accused the defendants of breach of trust, breach of statutory duty, abuse of power and conspiracy to misappropriate 1MDB funds.

The trial before Judicial Commissioner Mohamad Redzuan Idrus resumes tomorrow.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved