Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

19 Aug 2026 • 2:54 PM MYT
The Independent
The Independent

The world’s most free-thinking newspaper

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

A girl is fighting for her life in hospital after three of her family members died after they went into the sea off West Sussex.

There was a huge emergency service response to the incident in Shoreham-by-Sea on Tuesday afternoon, when police were told four people had got into difficulty in the water.

It is thought the four family members went into the sea for a swim.

Sussex Police confirmed on Tuesday night that a man, a woman and a teenage girl had died, while a younger girl from the family was in a critical condition in hospital.

Officers have not named the victims but said their next of kin had been informed and were being supported by specialist officers.

Chief Superintendent James Collis said: “At around 2.40pm this afternoon, emergency services were called to reports of four people in difficulty in the water close to Shoreham Fort.

“Sussex Police officers supported His Majesty’s Coastguard and the RNLI, as all four people were brought ashore.

“Tragically, despite the best efforts of paramedics, three people – a man, woman and teenage girl – have sadly been confirmed deceased.

Chief Superintendent James Collis said the family’s next of kin were being supported by specialist officers (Jamie Lashmar/PA) (PA Wire)

“A younger girl has been taken to hospital and is in a critical condition.”

A resident, who asked to remain anonymous, told The Telegraph: “I heard from friends in the coastguard that it was a family who had been living in tents by the harbour front.

“They were camping just between the harbour arm and the fort. They have been there for a couple weeks, I’ve walked my dog past them. People don’t usually camp there.”

Alan Facer, a fisherman from Hove, told the newspaper: “The wind earlier was south-westerly so usually the waves pick up quite a bit.

“At 3pm, the tide would have been quite high.

“I was thinking the other day that someone is going to get hurt around here.”

The RNLI’s Shoreham lifeboat station is just across the mouth of the River Adur from Shoreham Fort.

The 41-year-old added: “Maybe with the lifeboats nearby they feel safe.”

Several ambulances were at the scene on Tuesday, as well as two air ambulances, an HM Coastguard helicopter and rescue teams from Littlehampton, Newhaven and Shoreham and the RNLI lifeboat.

Police said the coastguard has searched the water and is not looking for anyone else.

There was a huge emergency service response to the incident (Jamie Lashmar/PA) (PA Wire)

East Worthing and Shoreham MP Tom Rutland said the community in Shoreham “will be hoping and praying for the recovery of the young girl”.

In a statement on Facebook, he wrote: “I am deeply saddened by the tragic news that three people have died following an incident in the water near Shoreham Fort this afternoon.

“My thoughts are with the family and friends of those who have lost their lives, and I know the whole community here in Shoreham will be hoping and praying for the recovery of the young girl receiving medical treatment in hospital.”

Read More

It’s up to ewe: Shaun the Sheep options for future storm name

Three members of same family die after incident in sea off Sussex coast

Mobile gold miners in eastern Congo complicate health workers' efforts to contain Ebola

UK inflation rises to 2.9% in blow for Burnham

Train passengers face potential 4.2% fares hike

Camilla opens up on King Charles’ cancer diagnosis

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved