Gurkhas deployed to South Wales to help fight wildfires

WorldEnvironment
16 Aug 2026 • 11:14 PM MYT
The Independent
The Independent

The world’s most free-thinking newspaper

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service (SWFRS) said on Sunday it was responding to “significant wildfire activity” with the support of other services from across the UK and military personnel.

As SWFRS crews tackled ten large fires across the region on Saturday, around 100 personnel, including members of the Queen’s Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment (QOGLR) and 22 royal engineers, were deployed for logistical, operational and planning support.

A further 100 are expected to follow, the Ministry of Defence said on Saturday.

Nepalese Gurkhas have worked alongside the British Army as part of a 200-year tradition (UK MOD Crown copyright)

The QOGLR is a unit of the Royal Logistic Corps composed of Nepalese Gurkhas and British officers, a symbol of the 200-year military tradition that has seen Nepal’s soldiers fight alongside the British Army.

The special forces helped with water distribution and logistical support so firefighters and specialist responders could focus on frontline firefighting.

Water was transported by military personnel from distant sources to create a mobile water reservoir in key locations, the Ministry of Defence said. They also helped move equipment, supplies and personnel to ensure resources reached critical locations quickly.

Military teams also helped emergency services access remote and difficult terrain, improving their ability to respond to the ongoing fires.

Gurkhas helped create a mobile water reservoir in key locations (UK MOD Crown copyright)

The risk of wildfires in South Wales remains high due to a lack of rain, despite temperatures easing in the coming days.

Firefighters have been working 10- or 11-hour shifts on mountainsides without breaks or access to toilets, eating meals “covered in soot”, Gareth Tovey, Fire Brigades Union executive council member for Wales, said.

Deputy chief fire officer Adam Openshaw said: “The combined efforts of everyone involved in this major incident continue to play a vital role in keeping people safe during these exceptional circumstances.

“We know this is a challenging and worrying time for many people. Please be assured that we remain committed to protecting our communities and keeping the people of South Wales safe.”

On Friday evening, millions of people in England and Wales received an alert on their mobile devices warning them of a “very high risk of wildfires nationally”.

It came after prime minister Andy Burnham described Britain as a “tinderbox” and a temporary ban on disposable barbecues was put in place.

SWFRS said on Saturday evening that it had already received 736 calls, compared with an average of around 300, and urged people only to call 999 if there was a new emergency to report.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved