If it's BN-PH, I won't contest the Melaka state election – Dr Akmal

LocalPolitics
19 Aug 2026 • 10:25 AM MYT
The Vibes
The Vibes

Featuring breaking news & latest stories from every side.

If it's BN-PH, I won't contest the Melaka state election – Dr Akmal

UMNO Youth chief Datuk Dr Muhamad Akmal Saleh said he would not contest the Melaka State Election (PRN) if Barisan Nasional (BN) and Pakatan Harapan (PH) form a pact.

Dr Akmal is willing to give up the opportunity to defend his seat as a representative in the Merlimau State Legislative Assembly (DUN) to ‘defend the principles’ he holds.

“I reiterated my stance during the KS (Keluar Sekejap) podcast, which is that if BN-PH is in Melaka, I will not contest because I am more willing to defend my principles than position.

“God willing, we will win Melaka like Johor and Negeri Sembilan,” he said.

He said this when commenting on the latest development regarding the possibility of PH and BN opening discussions on cooperation to face the Melaka PRN.

Earlier, PH Secretary-General, Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said that the matter is likely to be discussed since the Melaka PRN is getting closer.

Dr Akmal also questioned PH’s stance, which was previously alleged to consider UMNO as being faceless and stabbing friends, but now the party is seen looking for UMNO to form a collaboration. – August 19, 2026

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved