Illegal waste disposal site in Kampung Maju Jaya shut down, four arrested – Exco

LocalEnvironment
11 Aug 2026 • 4:51 PM MYT
The Sun Daily
The Sun Daily

For the latest news and features from Malaysia and the rest of the world.

Image from: Illegal waste disposal site in Kampung Maju Jaya shut down, four arrested – Exco

Johor shuts illegal waste site in Kampung Maju Jaya over open burning, unlicensed operations

JOHOR BAHRU: The Johor government has ordered the immediate closure of an illegal waste disposal site in Kampung Maju Jaya here after it was found to be conducting extensive solid waste collection and open burning activities.

State Housing and Local Government Committee chairman Datuk Mohd Jafni Md Shukor said the stern action was taken following an integrated spot check conducted to address residents’ complaints about odour and smoke pollution.

He said the premises, operating without a licence on 3.64 hectares of privately owned land out of a total of 21 acres, were used as a collection site for various types of mixed solid waste, including wet waste and construction materials.

“Given the situation here, we shut it down immediately. This step is important for the safety and well-being of residents around Jalan Seelong, which is becoming increasingly densely populated. Previously, residents reported that waste collectors often carried out open burning at night on a large scale, causing the smoke to spread into residential areas.

“That is why we need to meet the actual owner of this land, as he had rented the site to the operator. We will investigate whether the landowner was complicit, working together with the operator, or whether this is a sub-operation of his business,” he told reporters after leading the inspection operation at Kampung Maju Jaya, Jalan Kempas Lama-Seelong, today.

The operation also involved the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM), Department of Environment (DOE), Solid Waste and Public Cleansing Management Corporation (SWCorp), Johor Bahru City Council (MBJB), Land and Mines Office and Petroliam Nasional Berhad (Petronas).

Mohd Jafni said checks found that the operator had never obtained a business licence from MBJB or an operating permit from SWCorp.

Following this, SWCorp opened an investigation paper under Section 75 of the Solid Waste and Public Cleansing Management Act 2007 (Act 672).

If convicted, offenders may be fined between RM10,000 and RM100,000 or face imprisonment, or both. The investigation paper is expected to be submitted for prosecution within three months.

Apart from the closure of the site and legal action against the operator, the Land Office was also instructed to issue a notice of action to the owner of the privately owned land, who is believed to be a Singaporean.

The move followed checks which found that the landowner had failed to pay tax for three years and had rented out the agricultural land for about five years.

Enforcement officers also found livestock farming activities, including more than 300 chickens, to be seized, while the cattle and goats were believed to have been removed by the operator before the raid.

A technical inspection by Petronas confirmed that the area was safe, with the illegal dumping site located about 150 metres from the gas pipeline route.

Mohd Jafni also warned that the state government would take firm action against any party encroaching on land, operating without a licence or misusing land licences across Johor.

Meanwhile, Johor Bahru Utara police chief ACP Radin Ramlan Radin Taha said four men, aged between 31 and 40, were arrested at the site on Aug 9 at about 10.30 am.

He said the local suspect was detained under Section 55B of the Immigration Act 1959 and remanded for four days, while three Bangladeshi men were detained under Section 6(1)(c) of the same Act after being found without valid permits.

“The three foreign nationals are currently remanded for 14 days for further investigation,” he told reporters at the scene.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved