
THE Immigration Department has suspended the driver of its lorry involved in a crash that killed a father and his two daughters at the Maju Junction traffic lights in Jalan Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, pending the completion of investigations.
Immigration Director-General Datuk Zakaria Shaaban said the driver had been suspended from duty to facilitate investigations by the authorities, while the department was conducting a separate internal probe into compliance with standard operating procedures (SOPs).
“The immediate action taken by the department is to suspend the driver until the case is resolved.
“We are giving our full cooperation to the police in this case. The Immigration Department is also conducting an internal investigation into compliance with standard operating procedures (SOPs),” he told Harian Metro today.
The crash, which occurred at about 1am yesterday, claimed the lives of Shaik Mohd Firdaus Shaikh Yahya, 53, and his two daughters, Siti Nor Sazlin, 25, and Siti Darwisya Auni, 12.
The victims were reportedly walking with other family members when they were struck by the Immigration Department’s Isuzu “Black Maria” lorry after it lost control at the junction.
The unladen lorry was believed to have been travelling from the Kuala Lumpur Immigration Office towards Chow Kit after taking part in an operation targeting undocumented migrants.
Initial police investigations found that the lorry was believed to have entered the junction when the traffic light in its direction was red, although its beacon lights and siren were activated.
At the same time, a Proton Saga driven by a 50-year-old man was travelling straight through the junction when the traffic light in his direction was green.
The Proton Saga was believed to have been unable to avoid the lorry, resulting in a collision in the middle of the junction.
The impact caused the Immigration lorry to lose control and veer off the road before hitting four pedestrians from the same family and an Inokom Matrix that was stopped at the traffic lights.
Three of the pedestrians — Shaik Mohd Firdaus, Siti Nor Sazlin and Siti Darwisya Auni — died at the scene.
The victims’ 55-year-old wife and mother suffered injuries to her head, hands and legs and is receiving treatment in the Red Zone of Kuala Lumpur Hospital.
Meanwhile, a witness to the crash has said he is prepared to give a statement to police as investigations continue.
Faiz Hussamuddin said he was at the junction while travelling home from Bukit Bintang on a motorcycle when the collision occurred.
“During the incident, I was on my way home from Bukit Bintang on a motorcycle. I was at the traffic lights and the Immigration lorry was on the opposite side.
“The Immigration lorry had its siren activated at the time and vehicles in its lane gave way,” he told Sinar Harian.
Faiz said he witnessed the collision before helping the victims in the aftermath.
“I felt traumatised because I saw the incident happen right in front of my eyes and saw the condition of the victims, who were already weak.
“So, I am prepared. If the police want to take my statement, I have no problem with that,” he said.
Kuala Lumpur Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department chief Assistant Commissioner Mohd Zamzuri Mohd Isa said police were conducting a detailed investigation into the circumstances leading to the crash.
Investigators are also obtaining closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage, tracing independent witnesses and sending the vehicles involved for inspection and further investigation.
The suspension of the driver comes as police probe the fatal collision and the Immigration Department reviews whether proper procedures were followed during the operation and the lorry's journey. - August 20, 2026
.png)





