Investigation into Lewes train derailment finds track defect

19 Aug 2026 • 7:50 PM MYT
The Independent
The Independent

The world’s most free-thinking newspaper

Investigation into Lewes train derailment finds track defect

A rail track defect existed in the area where a train derailed in East Sussex last week, injuring 30 people, investigators said.

An interim report by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) said CCTV images from preceding services on the line show the fault, which it described as a “track geometry irregularity”.

Preliminary analysis of the derailed train’s onboard data recorder show it was travelling at about 65mph as it approached the point of derailment in Lewes at 3.54pm on August 13.

About 150 people were onboard the eight-carriage Southern train from London Victoria to Eastbourne.

Three carriages ended up on their side, trapping passengers.

A total of 30 people were injured, included 20 who required hospital treatment, the RAIB said.

The RAIB said its investigation will consider the weather conditions on August 13, which were hot and sunny, as well as the status of the track, embankment, condition of the train and the effectiveness of any measures taken to address potential issues caused by hot weather.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved