Iran official rejects Trump’s claims on Strait of Hormuz

WorldPolitics
15 Aug 2026 • 2:59 PM MYT
The Sun Daily
The Sun Daily

For the latest news and features from Malaysia and the rest of the world.

Image from: Iran official rejects Trump’s claims on Strait of Hormuz

Gharibabadi said on Saturday that the Strait of Hormuz could be seized neither by social media posts, aircraft carriers, official orders nor campaign speeches.

TEHRAN: Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs, Kazem Gharibabadi, has rejected United States (US) President Donald Trump’s claims regarding the Strait of Hormuz, stressing that Iran retains authority over the strategic waterway, Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) reported.

Gharibabadi said on Saturday that the Strait of Hormuz could be seized neither by social media posts, aircraft carriers, official orders nor campaign speeches.

He added that Iran would not be intimidated by threats or displays of military power.

In a post on X, Gharibabadi responded to Trump’s claim that the US might soon declare the Strait of Hormuz as US territory following what he described as Iran’s defeat.

Gharibabadi said the strategic waterway had been Iranian, remained Iranian and would continue to be so, arguing that it could only be closed or reopened under Iran’s command.

He also said Iran would continue imposing a blockade as long as the US failed to acknowledge its strategic defeats and continued with what he described as delusional claims.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved