
MANILA, Philippines — Sen. Lito Lapid on Tuesday urged the Department of Agriculture (DA) to immediately implement a "rescue-buy" scheme to prevent agricultural products from Benguet and other areas from going to waste amid weak demand and plunging farm-gate prices.
Lapid made the call after reports that farmers in Tublay, Benguet had been forced to dump cabbage and carrots along Labey-Lacamen Road because they could not find buyers for their produce.
He said the situation was aggravated by the effects of the typhoon and southwest monsoon, or habagat, which contributed to the sharp decline in vegetable prices.
As a farmer himself, Lapid appealed to Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu-Laurel to implement a "rescue-buy" scheme for agricultural products that can still be harvested in Benguet and other municipalities.
The senator said the government could purchase the vegetables to help farmers recover at least part of the capital and production costs they have incurred in planting and caring for their crops.
Lapid also suggested that vegetables that can no longer be sold in the regular market could instead be diverted as feed for pigs, cattle and other livestock.
"At least the vegetables can still be put to good use by livestock raisers. If the Department of Agriculture buys the vegetables, it would also be a big help to farmers in Benguet so they can recover their capital and expenses for planting and tending their crops," Lapid said.
