Making it official: Rafizi, Nik Nazmi confirm vacating Pandan and Setiawangsa federal seats, effective today

LocalPolitics
18 May 2026 • 2:40 PM MYT
Malay Mail
Malay Mail

Latest Malaysia breaking stories on politics, analysis and opinions

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 18 — Rafizi Ramli and  Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad have resigned as members of Parliament of Pandan and Setiawangsa respectively, effective today.

In a joint statement issued on 18 May 2026, the duo said they had sent letters to Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Johari Abdul to inform him of their resignations.

“With this, we vacate the parliamentary seats of Pandan and Setiawangsa following our intention to explore a new political agenda,” the statement read.

They described the move as the “right and honourable step” to return the mandate to the voters of Pandan and Setiawangsa, noting that they had been elected under the Pakatan Harapan ticket in the last general election.

Both men expressed gratitude to their constituents for electing them to represent the constituencies for two terms.

Their service centres, they said, will continue to operate as usual to provide assistance and services to voters.

Rafizi and Nik Nazmi also confirmed that they will contest again in the Pandan and Setiawangsa parliamentary seats under the Bersama platform in the upcoming election.

No further details on Bersama or the timing of the next election were provided in the statement.

View Original Article