
(UPDATE) MANILA, Philippines — Police investigators are seeking access to the electronic gadgets used by the student who carried out the shooting at Ateneo de Zamboanga University to determine his motive and identify his intended target.
Maj. Shellamie Chang, public information officer of the Police Regional Office 9, said the shooter's family has committed to cooperate with investigators and turn over the gadgets for forensic examination.
The devices will be examined by the PNP Anti-Cybercrime Group for information that could shed light on what the student had been going through and why he carried out the shooting, Chang said in a radio interview Wednesday.
“From these, we can obtain information that could help in the investigation,” Chang said.
The shooting left two people dead—the student and his victim.
Police have also recovered two pistols from the area. The firearms are now in PNP custody and will undergo ballistic examination as part of the investigation.
Chang said police are still coordinating with the Civil Security Group to determine who owns the firearms and whether they were legally registered.
Investigators have already spoken with the student's father, but Chang said police were respecting the family's bereavement and preparations for the burial of their son.
She said investigators continued coordinating with the family after their initial interview.
The PRO 9 has formed a Special Investigation Task Group to handle the case, following an order from the regional director.
As of Wednesday morning, however, police had not yet received an update on the number of people injured in the shooting or whether any remained in critical condition.
Chang also clarified reports circulating on social media that the student had fallen from the fifth floor of the school building.
She said the student entered the school premises through the basement, went up to the fourth floor and shot the victim there. He then proceeded to the fifth floor, where he shot himself.
The student was recovered on the fifth floor, Chang said, stressing that he did not fall from the building.
Angara in Zamboanga
Meanwhile, Education Secretary Sonny Angara arrived in Zamboanga City to meet with local authorities, PNP, local DepEd officials and the management of the Ateneo de Zamboanga.
He is also set to visit the wounded learners in the hospital.
Angara said that he was “deeply saddened” at the shooting, saying that his heart goes out to the parents who are currently grieving.
“My sympathies are likewise with all the families affected by this tragedy, as well as the teachers, learners, and school personnel who experienced this terrible incident,” Angara said on Tuesday.
Angara said they will wait for the findings of the PNP, especially on how the firearms came into the possession of a minor.
“I also appeal to the public to refrain from circulating videos, photographs, or unverified accounts of the incident. Minors and grieving families are involved, and their privacy and dignity deserve our protection,” Angara said.




