
MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Sara Duterte on Tuesday slammed the Office of the President over the continued disclosure of her travel schedule, saying it compromises her personal security and exposes her to heightened risks.
“I wish to again remind the Office of the President that the continued publication or disclosure of my schedule is a matter of serious concern, particularly as it compromises my personal security and exposes me to heightened risks,” Duterte said.
Duterte said reports about her supposed trip to Japan were inaccurate because her plans had changed and updated information had been formally submitted to the Office of the President.
The Vice President also called on media organizations and news outlets to verify information before publication, saying the rush to generate public attention or sensationalize a story should not take precedence over accurate reporting.
The Office of the Vice President later said it received the official cancellation of Duterte’s travel authority from the Office of the President at about 4:08 p.m. Tuesday via email.
The Palace had earlier confirmed Duterte’s planned Aug. 19 to 24 trip to Japan for personal reasons.
Duterte asks Palace to disclose travel costs of other officials
Duterte also challenged the Palace to make public the travel authorities and corresponding expenses of other government officials and employees whose trips are authorized by the Office of the President.
The Vice President said transparency and accountability should not be demanded from a single government office, noting that the Palace issues travel authorities to numerous government offices, including its own officials and employees.
She added that the public would appreciate full information on the travel expenses incurred by these offices and officials, including the public funds used for their trips.
“From hereon, we expect that all travel authorities issued by the Palace, together with the corresponding travel expenses and public funds involved, be made available to the public,” Duterte said.
The challenge came amid a brewing dispute between the Palace and the OVP over the disclosure of Duterte’s travel plans, with the Vice President accusing the continued disclosure of her schedule of compromising her security.






