Teen convicted of fatal stabbing at high school track meet denied new trial

23 Aug 2026 • 10:06 PM MYT
The Independent
The Independent

The world’s most free-thinking newspaper

Teen convicted of fatal stabbing at high school track meet denied new trial

The Texas teenager convicted of fatally stabbing a 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet was denied a new trial on Saturday.

Karmelo Anthony, now 19, was sentenced to 35 years in prison for murder for killing fellow student Austin Metcalf in the stadium bleachers outside of Dallas last year. A jury handed down a guilty verdict in June after rejecting his claims of self-defense.

Judge Michael Chitty denied the retrial motion in a half-page order following a two-day hearing this week near Dallas, citing a review of the evidence and arguments. He did not elaborate.

Russell Wilson, Anthony's attorney, said the defense would appeal.

“Our commitment to our client has not changed,” Wilson said. “We will continue to advocate vigorously on his behalf through every lawful avenue available.”

Prosecutor Bill Wirskye defended the trial as fair this week.

“We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial,” Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said after the denial was announced.

Austin Metcalf, 17, left, of Frisco, Texas was allegedly stabbed and killed by Karmelo Anthony, 17, right, also of Frisco, following a fight at a high school track meet on April 1, 2025 (GoFundMe/Frisco Police Department)

“The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process. Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week’s hearing.”

Anthony’s attorneys also demanded a retrial because they said trial judge John Roach’s courtroom rules were so strict that they limited the public’s access to the proceedings.

And in asking for Roach's recusal, they noted that he gave a posttrial interview with a Dallas TV station in which he said the jury “got it right.”

Roach said his rules were necessary for a fair trial, and prosecutors insisted he did nothing wrong.

The case attracted widespread attention in part because of a flood of social media posts that amplified the killing in racial terms. Anthony is Black; Metcalf was white. Lawyers on both sides, however, told jurors that the case had nothing to do with race.

Jurors rejected Anthony’s claims that he was defending himself during a confrontation with Metcalf in the bleachers of the track meet.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved