Trump says he is not seeking extension of Iran framework agreement

WorldPolitics
18 Aug 2026 • 9:16 AM MYT
The Sun Daily
The Sun Daily

For the latest news and features from Malaysia and the rest of the world.

Image from: Trump says he is not seeking extension of Iran framework agreement

“No,” Trump replied when asked by reporters whether he was seeking an extension of the deal with Iran.

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump said on Monday that he was not seeking an extension of the June framework agreement with Iran aimed at ending the war, while claiming that the US had established “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz, Anadolu Ajansi reported.

“No,” Trump replied when asked by reporters whether he was seeking an extension of the deal with Iran, which was reached in June through Pakistani mediation.

His remarks came as a 60-day negotiating period neared its end without a comprehensive agreement, which the framework deal was intended to facilitate. The deadline stems from the June deal, which established a window for negotiations towards a broader settlement.

Asked whether the two sides were closer to reaching a final agreement under the framework deal, Trump said Iran was willing to negotiate but was not prepared to accept the terms he believed were required.

“They want to make a deal, but they are not going to make the kind of deal that I feel is necessary,” Trump said.

He reiterated that Iran could not be allowed to possess nuclear weapons.

“Look, we’re in there for one reason: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. You understand that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon, and they won’t have a nuclear weapon,” he added.

Trump was also asked about his recent statement that he would soon declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory.

He defended the idea, saying that American forces controlled the strategic waterway through a blockade.

“Well, I just think it’s a great idea. I mean, we control it. We control it with the blockade. We have a blockade. We control it with the blockade, and I like the idea of declaring it a territory.

“We have total control over the Strait. Now, they can be a nuisance … But the blockade has been very effective,” the president said.

Trump said the US blockade had been effective and claimed that American actions were allowing millions of barrels of oil to move through the region each week.

“We are taking out, maybe that will stop, or maybe it will open up even further, we are taking out millions of barrels of oil a week,” he said.

“The strait is open, and the oil prices are coming down, and they will continue to come down unless we decide to do something far more drastic than we are doing,” he said, adding that Iran was “in big trouble”.

The president also addressed Oman’s role in diplomatic efforts involving neighbouring Iran and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

Asked whether he had run out of patience with Oman, Trump said the country had not “behaved very well” but suggested that the US could deal with the situation.

“No, I don’t think they behaved very well, but we’d handle them very easily, just like we do other things,” Trump said.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved