
MANILA, Philippines — Customs (BOC) Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno on Tuesday relieved the district commander of the Enforcement and Security Services (ESS) in Zamboanga port, father of the Grade 9 student who went on a shooting spree inside the Ateneo de Zamboanga University campus where at least two people, including the shooter, died on Tuesday.
In a phone interview with reporters, Nepomuceno said that although the Customs police chief of port Zamboanga has nothing to do with the incident, the relief order was issued because of an ongoing investigation, where it was confirmed that the gun that was used by the student was issued by Customs.
“The suspect—whose father works at the BOC—committed suicide. Of course, I am saddened that his child became involved; it is a tragic incident. However, I had to have the father relieved of his duties immediately, even though he had no direct hand in the actual shooting,” Nepomuceno said.
Nepomuceno acknowledged that the incident was a huge tragedy for their family but said his immediate relief was necessary to ensure an impartial investigation into whether there was negligence on the BOC personnel's part regarding the handling of the firearm.
About two months ago, Nepomuceno ordered a thorough review of the BOC’s firearm issuance system – the BOC’s process for issuing mission orders to personnel needs to be at par with established standards.
“We need a system similar to the PNP's—including requirements like neuropsychiatric testing—so everything must be in order,” he said.
“The district commander needs to be relieved of his post to pave the way for an impartial investigation; while we sympathize with their situation, immediate relief is necessary. Secondly, I’ve ordered an inventory of all issued mission orders to ensure the firearms are fully accounted for and to remind our personnel that gun safety training—both inside and outside the office—must be continuous,” he added.
Nepomuceno also noted that they have tried calling the BOC official but they got no answer.
“We tried calling earlier this morning but got no answer, so I left it to Deputy Commissioner Bathan to speak with Lars and find out the situation. I don't know the status yet; I’m trying to call him—we’re both in the office—but he hasn't answered yet. Hopefully, General (Nolasco) Bathan will be able to speak with him,” he said.
Customs Deputy Commissioner Nolasco Bathan confirmed that one of the two guns used by the young shooter was a Customs-issued firearm.
“'Yung baril na nagamit ay kinoconfirm ko na BOC-issued firearm 'yon. ‘yung isa ay personal firearm niya pero lisensyado, as per verification certification from the Firearms and Explosives Office ng PNP. ” Bathan told reporters in a phone interview on Tuesday.
(I am confirming that the gun used was a BOC-issued firearm. "The other one was his personal firearm, but it is licensed, as per the verification certification from the PNP Firearms and Explosives Office." )
Bathan said the BOC-issued firearm was the Glock pistol.
Bathan clarified however that he has not spoken to the ESS chief yet who, at the moment, is still reportedly in a state of shock.
“Ang unang info ko eh, sabi natulala raw. So, siyempre medyo nabigla rin siguro dahil siyempre anak niya 'yung involved. So, automatic, inirerekomenda ko na agad kay Commissioner na maglagay muna ako ng ibang officer-in-charge doon sa port ng Zamboanga kasi siyempre sensitive din naman 'yung posisyon niya being the commander ng police doon sa Bureau of Customs,” Bathan said.
("My initial information was that [he] was reportedly in shock. So, naturally, [he] was probably quite stunned because, of course, [his] child was involved. Therefore, I automatically recommended right away to the Commissioner to temporarily place another officer-in-charge at the Port of Zamboanga, since [his] position is sensitive, being the police commander there at the Bureau of Customs.)



