Alleged goldsmith heist at Genting Highlands leaves motorists stuck in massive jam

17 Aug 2026 • 5:10 PM MYT
Scoop.my
Scoop.my

News You Can Use, Investigative Reports, Sports, Videos, and Analysis

Image from: Alleged goldsmith heist at Genting Highlands leaves motorists stuck in massive jam

KUALA LUMPUR – Genting Highlands was thrown into chaos today following claims that a goldsmith shop inside a shopping mall at the popular resort had been robbed, triggering heightened security checks and temporary restrictions on vehicles leaving the area.

The alleged incident quickly gained attention on social media, particularly on Threads, after visitors shared updates and videos said to show the situation unfolding at the scene.

A short video uploaded by Threads user @j00raaaa appeared to show two individuals dressed entirely in black moving through the shopping centre while carrying what looked like a large sack.

View on Threads


View on Threads


“Genting goldsmith shop robbed. Genting is temporarily on lockdown,” the user claimed in the post.

Several visitors at the resort later claimed that vehicles leaving Genting Highlands had been temporarily halted as police conducted security checks believed to be part of efforts to locate the alleged suspects.

The reported operation led to a massive buildup of traffic, with motorists claiming they were trapped in a gridlock along the route down from Genting Highlands. Some drivers said they had been stuck for nearly two hours as vehicles moved slowly through the area.

Threads user @shaqiera_abhamid said her vehicle, which departed from her accommodation at about noon, only reached Genting Sempah at around 2pm.

Another user, @faridaspar, claimed police officers were carrying out detailed inspections of vehicles leaving the resort.

“Police carried out detailed checks on every vehicle leaving the area, including instructing motorists to open their car boots for inspection,” she said.

Scoop had sought confirmation from the police regarding the alleged robbery and the reported security measures at Genting Highlands.

Meanwhile, Police confirmed the robbery at a shopping centre in Genting Highlands, Bentong today, following reports circulating online about an alleged goldsmith shop heist that sparked heightened security checks and traffic disruptions at the popular resort.

Acting Pahang police chief Datuk Azry Akmar Ayob said the incident was believed to have taken place around noon.

He said police were currently investigating the case and gathering more information.

“We are still gathering the facts of the case, and any further developments will be shared,” he said when contacted by Bernama today. – August 17, 2026

The post Alleged goldsmith heist at Genting Highlands leaves motorists stuck in massive jam appeared first on Scoop.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved