BTS star V reveals hearing in one ear is at ‘about 30’ after battling problem for more than two years

EntertainmentHealth & Fitness
13 Aug 2026 • 8:45 AM MYT
Malay Mail
Malay Mail

Latest Malaysia breaking stories on politics, analysis and opinions

Malay Mail

SEOUL, Aug 13 — BTS star V has revealed that hearing in one of his ears is significantly weaker than the other after living with the problem for more than two years.

The 30-year-old K-pop star opened up about his health during a Weverse livestream with bandmate Jung Kook yesterday, telling fans for the first time that his hearing had worsened.

According to The Korea Times, V said he had been dealing with the problem for around two and a half years without previously telling BTS’ fanbase, known as ARMY.

“I’ve never told ARMY about this before, but I think it’s been about two and a half years. My hearing has gotten worse,” he said.

V, whose real name is Kim Tae-hyung, then gave fans an indication of how different his hearing is between his ears.

“If one ear is at about 100, I can only hear about 30 with the other,” he said.

During the livestream, Jung Kook stressed the importance of consistently looking after one’s health.

V agreed, saying he is now taking medication and receiving medical care, but admitted the problem became worse while he was carrying out his mandatory military service in South Korea.

He said he initially failed to take the issue as seriously as he should have after those around him suggested physical difficulties could be overcome through willpower.

“It got a little worse in the military, and since I was surrounded by people who exercised a lot, everyone said, ‘It’s a matter of mental strength,’” V said.

“After that, I kind of convinced myself that it was a matter of mental strength.”

Jung Kook immediately responded: “You shouldn’t do that.”

V said he is now focusing on his health and attending hospital regularly.

“I’m going to the hospital regularly,” he said.

The revelation marked the first time V had spoken publicly to fans about the hearing problem, which he said he has been experiencing for roughly two and a half years.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved