Burnham to give mayors powers to force through building plans

PoliticsProperty
23 Aug 2026 • 4:08 PM MYT
The Independent
The Independent

The world’s most free-thinking newspaper

Burnham to give mayors powers to force through building plans

Andy Burnham is set to give mayors new powers to take control of local planning decisions and greenlight large-scale developments in proposals to be unveiled next week.

The move would see mayors allowed to “call in” the decisions and direct councils to take them forward or refuse them.

They will also be able to grant upfront permission so developers can start building without having to apply.

This will apply to developments of more than 150 homes, commercial spaces of more than 15,000 square metres or any building 30 metres or taller – which is roughly 10 storeys.

Ten of the 14 devolved mayors have backed the move.

It will bring them into line with Mayor of London Sir Sadiq Khan, who was already given the powers earlier this year in what was billed as an emergency measure aimed at unblocking dozens of stalled sites to get thousands more affordable homes built in the capital.

The Government is just over a quarter of the way to its target to build 1.5 million homes in England in five years.

Mr Burnham told The Sunday Times that he understood the argument that devolving powers to mayors to push through such projects could disempower councillors, MPs and constituents.

He said: “Sometimes… challenge does need to be made to local decision-making, and actually it cuts both ways.

“It’s not all about Nimbyism. Sometimes it’s the other way round.

“It’s a local authority putting forward something that’s unacceptable in terms of the impact on the community… so it’s a two-way street.”

A consultation will be published next week (PA) (PA Archive)

The decisions must be in line with planning rules, local plans set out for areas and the national policy.

And ministers will retain a backstop power to intervene.

Mayors will also get more of a say on how national housing funding from Homes England will be spent in their areas.

And they will be able to charge a levy on development to fund major infrastructure.

A consultation will be published next week.

The Liberal Democrats said the move was a “direct attack” that would silence residents.

Gideon Amos, the party’s housing and planning spokesperson, said:”Taking powers away from communities and local councillors is taking powers away from local people. This plan is a direct attack on communities across the country.

“Labour’s chaotic patchwork approach to devolution will simply not work to solve the housing crisis.

“Instead of silencing residents and handing mayors a blank cheque, the Government should be empowering local councils with the resources to deliver genuinely affordable homes alongside the infrastructure to support them.”

Read More

What rejoining the EU single market would mean for the UK economy

Two ‘brave’ Pcs killed in A66 crash are named

Burnham attends first Everton match since becoming Prime Minister

Iranian hackers carry out unprecedented attack on UK’s power network

Tributes pour in for ‘brave’ police constables killed in A66 crash

Rare Easter Island jewellery bought for £100 ells for £75,000 at auction

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved