
CEBU CITY — Dragon boat teams from all over the world will return to Cebu this September as the Nustar Dragon Boat Regatta enters its second year, with organizers expecting a bigger field of participants and renewed efforts to promote the city as a sports tourism destination.
Nustar Resort Cebu announced the staging of the 2026 regatta during a press conference on July 29 at the Nustar Ballroom. The three-day competition will run from Sept. 18 to 20 at the Nustar Boardwalk and will gather 40 teams, including seven international teams, doubling last year’s 20-team participation.
The official races will take place on Sept. 19 and 20, with teams competing along a 200-meter straight course across seven categories.
The competition will feature the Premier Open Standard Boat DB22, Premier Mixed Standard Boat DB22, Premier Women Small Boat DB12, Premier Open Small Boat Corporate DB12, Senior-A Open Small Boat DB12, 24U Open Small Boat DB12 and Para-Dragon 1 Open Small Boat DB12 divisions.
Nustar Chief Operating Officer Sean Robert Knights said the regatta aims to build on last year’s inaugural staging while supporting Cebu’s growth as a destination for major sporting events.
“Last year’s inaugural regatta was more than a sporting event. It was a celebration of teamwork, diversity and community,” Knights said.
He said Nustar wants the event to bring together athletes, supporters and partners while creating opportunities for local businesses and communities through sports tourism.
“Our city has the water, the access and the community for events of this scale and beyond,” Knights said.
Cebu City officials also expressed support for the competition, citing its potential to highlight the city’s tourism, culture and hospitality.
Cebu City Public Information Office head Jesson Morata, who delivered a message on behalf of Mayor Nestor Archival, said the regatta can help promote Cebu as a venue for international sporting events.
“This regatta is an opportunity to showcase Cebu as a premier destination where world-class sporting events, vibrant culture and warm Cebuano hospitality come together,” Morata said.
For the 2026 staging, Nustar will again partner with the Philippine Dragon Boat Federation (PDBF) for technical race management and operations, while the Philippine Accessible Disability Services Inc. (PADS) will handle event and participant coordination.
The event will welcome teams from various divisions, including men’s, women’s and mixed categories, as well as senior racers ages 40 and above, youth participants below 24 years old and para-athletes.
PADS founder JP Maunes said the partnership promotes inclusion by giving adaptive athletes opportunities to compete alongside other racers.
“Together, we are building a legacy where sport unites communities, breaks barriers and inspires the world,” Maunes said.
Katrina Mae de Jesus, Nustar vice president for business development, said the regatta reflects cooperation among the private sector, government agencies and sports organizations in developing Cebu’s sports tourism industry.
“This is a monumental event not just for Nustar, as the integrator of the private sector, and national and local government units and agencies, but also for Cebu, as we continue to aspire to be a premier and iconic sports tourism destination,” de Jesus said.
Organizers are also exploring environmental initiatives, including coastal cleanups and tree-planting activities, to complement the competition’s sustainability efforts.
The regatta will continue partnerships with brands such as IPI Omega and Milo.
Registration is open to local and international teams regardless of federation affiliation. Registration fee for domestic participants is P2,000 each and for international participants is $50 each. Discounted rates are available for senior citizens and persons with disabilities at P1,600, while students may register for P1,000.
Teams must complete payment and submit required race documents by Aug. 15.
Participants may also avail of accommodation packages at Fili Hotel Cebu and Nustar Hotel Cebu for stays from Sept. 18 to 21. The packages include two nights’ accommodation, applicable participation fees, daily breakfast for up to two guests and airport shuttle service.
