DA moves to aid Benguet farmers

LocalEnvironment
19 Aug 2026 • 6:24 AM MYT
The Manila Times
The Manila Times

One of the longest-running English broadsheets in the Philippines

DA moves to aid Benguet farmers

THE Department of Agriculture (DA) is stepping up assistance to vegetable farmers in Benguet following crop losses, trading disruptions, and weaker demand caused by persistent rains.

In a statement Tuesday, Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said he directed the DA’s Cordillera Administrative Region office (DA-CAR) to assess the situation and provide immediate assistance to farmers affected by weather-related and market disturbance.

The directive followed reports that Chinese cabbages and carrots had been dumped along the Labey-Lacamen Road in Tublay, Benguet.

After verification, DA-CAR said 2.5 metric tons of Chinese cabbage harvested in Gambang, Bakun on Aug. 13 were transported to La Trinidad but were stuck in a queue for two days and two nights before reaching the trading center.

Continuous rains and the vegetables loaded while wet caused the cabbages to rot, making them unfit for sale. The truck was eventually pulled out of the queue and the produce was unloaded in a vacant lot in Tublay.

In a separate case, 4 metric tons of carrots harvested in Amlimay, Buguias on Aug. 11 were brought to the trading center. Only 700 kilograms were sold by midday on Aug. 12, while the remaining carrots began to deteriorate, leaving farmers with few buyers.

About 200 kilograms were left at the trading post, while 3.1 metric tons were dumped along the Labey-Lacamen Road.

DA-CAR said the farmers decided to discard the produce due to their deteriorating condition and the difficulty of transporting the heavy load over slippery roads.

The two incidents resulted in combined losses of 5.8 metric tons of vegetables, which the DA attributed to continuous rainfall, wet produce, prolonged queues and congestion at trading centers, reduced marketability and poor road conditions.

“The losses underscore the need for faster logistics, stronger market linkages, and coordinated support programs to help Benguet farmers [endure] climate and market challenges,” the DA said.

In response, DA-CAR said it would expand farmers’ market access through the Kadiwa ng Pangulo program, transportation assistance, and linkages with institutional buyers.

In August, the regional office assisted at least 46 farmer cooperatives and associations by facilitating the sale of 32.83 metric tons of vegetables through direct market channels, generating an estimated gross value of P1.2 million.

The Cordillera was among seven regions affected by tropical cyclones Luis and Maymay and the enhanced southwest monsoon. The other affected regions were Ilocos, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon), Mimaropa (Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon, and Palawan), and Western Visayas.

As of Monday, agricultural damage and losses had reached more than P1.42 billion, affecting 43,340 farmers and 34,572 hectares of farmland. Production losses were estimated at 35,083 metric tons.

Affected commodities included rice, corn, cassava, high-value crops, fisheries, livestock and poultry.

Damage was also reported to agricultural and fisheries infrastructure, machinery and equipment.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved