
Prince William will be “furious” over the Sussexes’ return to the UK after years of public criticism from his brother, the King's former royal butler said.
Grant Harrold, who previously worked closely with Prince William and Prince Harry, said it would be difficult for the Duke of Sussex to regain his brother’s trust.
He told The Independent: “William will be furious. Harry has said some extraordinary things about the family. William is somebody that when you break trust and you go beyond a certain point, there's no going back.
“Before, William would have said 'he's 5,000/6,000 miles away and it's not my problem, he's in another country'. But now he's suddenly back on the doorstep. I just don't think he's going to be happy about the situation at all."
It was revealed on Wednesday that Prince Harry and Meghan were returning to the UK after six years across the pond to make their home in a non-royal residence outside London. It is understood the couple have already enrolled their children, Archie and Lilibet, in British schools.
King Charles and Prince William are understood to be holding a summit at Balmoral to discuss their return, according to The Daily Mail.
Read MoreWhy Harry’s homecoming is good news for William – and the UK
A question looms over Harry's return to the UK. Can he rebuild his relationship with Prince William?
Say what you like about Harry and Meghan, their timing is impeccable
Why did Prince Harry sue the Daily Mail publisher? The duke’s legal battle in full
Key Points
- Prince William 'will be furious' about Harry and Meghan's UK return
- Royal holiday turns into summit ahead of Sussexes' return - report
- Meghan could return to acting as she comes to the UK
- Meghan Markle 'begged royal family not to drop Harry's security'
- Andy Burnham says Harry and Meghan’s security plans a ‘private matter’
13 truths about Disneyland Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know
11:56 , Harriette BoucherAs it is announced that Harry and Meghan are to return to live in the UK, speculation is mounting that they could move to the Cotswolds. Good luck with that, says long-time resident Julian Linley, who pulls back the curtain on what life is really like beyond the Disney-esque fantasy...
13 truths about the Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know if they move there
Prince William 'will be furious' about Harry and Meghan's UK return
11:29 , Harriette BoucherGrant Harrold, the King's former royal butler who previously worked closely with William and Harry, warned the Sussex's return to the UK would anger Prince William
Speaking exclusively to the The Independent, he said: "William will be furious. Harry has said some extraordinary things about the family. William is somebody that when you break trust and you go beyond a certain point, there's no going back.
“Before, William would have said 'he's 5,000/6,000 miles away and it's not my problem, he's in another country'. But now he's suddenly back on the doorstep. I just don't think he's going to be happy about the situation at all."
Mr Harrold, also known as The Royal Butler, worked for the King and Queen Camilla, as well as Prince William, Princess Kate and Prince Harry up until 2011.
Prince Harry and other celebrities to discover how many millions they will pay Mail publisher
11:00 , Harriette BoucherThe Duke of Sussex and six other household names are set to find out how many millions of pounds they will have to pay initially to the Daily Mail’s publisher in legal costs after their failed High Court case.
The high-profile figures, also including Baroness Doreen Lawrence and Sir Elton John, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over allegations of unlawful information-gathering.
ANL strongly denied the claims which were heard at an 11-week trial in London earlier this year, with judge Mr Justice Nicklin dismissing all the cases in a judgment on July 7.
The cases returned to the High Court for a two-day hearing over costs, where the court was told ANL’s total costs were more than £34 million.
Mr Justice Nicklin is now due to give his decision on the size of an initial payment the group will make to ANL, as well as how the full costs will be assessed.
Harry and other celebrities discover how many millions they will pay Mail publisher
Why Harry’s homecoming is good news for William – and the UK
10:40 , Harriette BoucherAs the Duke and Duchess announced they are returning to Britain, many people spared a thought for his brother, who is still seething over the couple's behaviour since Megxit. This is a critical test for the Prince of Wales, and here’s how he could play it, writes Tessa Dunlop
Why Harry’s homecoming is good news for William – and the UK
Harry and Meghan waxworks pose with suitcases and royal guard to mark UK return
10:26 , Harriette BoucherWaxworks of Meghan and Harry have been kitted out with suitcases and positioned next to a royal guard to mark their return to the UK.
The figures at Madame Tussauds London have been moved to the British “culture capital” zone, to stand among the likes of Sir David Attenborough, Harry Kane and William Shakespeare.
They are now stood beside a royal guard with a green suitcase for Harry while Meghan’s is navy.
The waxworks were previously moved in 2019, when the couple were split up so the duchess could spend more time with her A-list friends including the Beckhams.
Harry and Meghan were also separated from the rest of the royal family in 2020 when the couple announced they would “step back” as senior royals and, since then, the duke and duchess have typically been in awards party zone.
“With the surprise news that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are returning to UK shores, we wanted to mark the occasion at Madame Tussauds London,” said Ali King, head of operations at Madame Tussauds London.
“Dressed to impress, they’ll be joining an incredible line-up of British icons, from Sir David Attenborough and Harry Kane to William Shakespeare and many more, making it quite the star-studded British reunion.”
Harry and Meghan's UK security funding a private matter, says Andy Burnham
10:07 , Harriette BoucherHarry and Meghan return: How the royal drama unfolded since Megxit
09:40 , Harriette Boucher
Harry and Meghan return: How the royal drama unfolded since Megxit
What have Harry and Meghan said about the royal family?
09:16 , Harriette BoucherHarry has decided to stop exposing private details about the royals, as he looks to rebuild his relationship with the King upon his return to the UK.
Both him and Meghan have issued several claims about members of the royal family in television interviews and in Harry’s memoir Spare.
What are some of their most brutal claims?
The Duchess told Oprah Winfrey that during her wedding dress fitting, Kate made her cry over the flower girl dresses.
Harry elaborated on this claim in his memoir, saying he arrived home before the wedding to discover Meghan crying on the floor following an argument with Kate.
He also claimed William physically attacked him during a 2019 argument at Nottingham Cottage over Meghan and called “difficult”, “rude,” and “abusive”.
In his book, he said his role as best man at William’s wedding a “bare-faced lie”.
He claimed his brother “stank of booze” before marrying Kate.
The Duke also claimed that his father was jealous of the amount of public attention William and Kate received.
He alleged the Camilla gave stories about William to the press.
Harry to stop exposing private details about royals in bid to regain King's trust
08:50 , Harriette BoucherThe Duke of Sussex will no longer discuss private family matters in public as he looks to regain the trust of his father, according to The Telegraph.
As part of his commitment to rebuilding his and his family’s relationship with the King, he will no longer take part in any tell-all interviews, the newspaper said.
Harry and Meghan have publicly criticised the royal family, and made several accusations against them during interviews, their six-part Netflix series, and Harry’s memoir Spare.
Royals believe there is 'no way back' for Harry and Meghan to join royal family
08:32 , Harriette BoucherPrince William is understood to be certain that there is “no way back” for Harry and Meghan to rejoin the royal family after their exit in 2020.
He is said to be “completely united” with his father in not allow the couple to have a semi role, royal sources told Mirror.
Both William and Kate want “no part” in their drama and cannot forgive some of the accusations made against the family after they left the UK, the newspaper reported.
One source told the newspaper: “Obviously the Sussexes' return will make inevitable headlines for a few days, but it has no bearing on the prince and princess' life moving forward.
“If anything, events that have affected them over the past couple of years have made them even more determined to concentrate on what is important to them, their family, their public roles and the ability to provide generational change for good with their public roles, and look forward to the future.”
Royal holiday turns into Balmoral summit ahead of Sussexes return - report
08:19 , Harriette BoucherThe royal family’s annual family holiday at Balmoral has turned into a summit ahead of Meghan and Harry’s arrival, reports say.
The Prince and Princess of Wales joined King Charles, Queen Camilla on a summer holiday at the Aberdeenshire estate following the shock announcement of the Sussexes’ return.
They are said to be treating their return as “business as usual”, The Sun reported.
It comes more than six years after Queen Elizabeth held a Sandringham summit when Harry and Meghan announced they wanted to step down as senior royals for a dual life, earning their own money in the US and supporting the monarch.
During that meeting, the royal family deemed that their semi-role was untenable and they were either in or out.
Why Harry’s homecoming is good news for William - and the UK
07:52 , Bryony GoochWhy Harry’s homecoming is good news for William – and the UK
Watch: Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to the UK later this month
07:40 , Bryony GoochRecap: What we know about Harry and Meghan's return to the UK
07:28 , Bryony GoochHarry and Meghan are expected to return to the UK before the end of this month.
It is understood they will live outside of London, with reports suggesting they’ve looked to the Cotswolds and Northampton area, and send their children to British schools.
There will be no photographs of the children when they start school and on their birthdays as for working royals, it is understood.
British media organisations have been instructed by the press regulator not to reveal the location of their new family home nor the children’s school.
The King is said to be glad to be able to spend more time with the Sussex family, but remains adamant they will not be working royals, and there is no half-in, half-out option.
Questions remain about how their security will be funded following a protracted legal battle with the Home Office where Harry made the case for them to provide security for Meghan and their children when in the UK.
Meghan could return to acting as she comes to the UK - report
07:22 , Bryony GoochThe Duchess of Sussex could make a return to acting after she moves back to the UK, according to reports.
Sources close to the Sussexes have not denied reports that Meghan Markle has been offered an acting role in the country, Australian site news.com.au reported.
The news outlet suggested one of the reasons the couple decided to return to Britain was that the duchess had been offered a job in an upcoming project.
The duchess was formerly an actress, known for her role as Rachel Zane in legal show Suits.
The real reason Harry and Meghan are leaving Hollywood for Britain
07:00 , Jane DaltonThe real reason Harry and Meghan are leaving Hollywood isn’t what you’re being told
Meghan 'begged royal family not to drop Harry's security'
06:00 , Jane DaltonMeghan told Oprah Winfrey in 2021 that she had urged the royal family not to remove Harry’s security.
She said: “I even wrote letters to his family saying, ‘Please, it’s very clear the protection of me or Archie is not a priority, I accept that, that is fine – [but] please keep my husband safe.
“‘I see the death threats, I see the racist propaganda, please keep him safe, please don’t pull his security and announce to the world when he and we are most vulnerable.’
“And they said it’s just not possible.”
Watch: No 'half-in, half-out' option for couple
05:00 , Jane DaltonHow the royal drama unfolded since 'Megxit'
04:00 , Jane DaltonThe couple continued to make waves even after leaving the UK for the US:
Harry and Meghan return: How the royal drama unfolded since Megxit
Harry and Meghan’s security plans a ‘private matter’, says Burnham: full report
03:00 , Jane DaltonHarry and Meghan’s security plans uncertain as Burnham says they are ‘private matter’
Sussexes will have to win over public
02:00 , Jane DaltonThe duke and duchess may also have to win over the British public, since they face low approval ratings in royal favourability polls.
Former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond said retaining their other properties appeared to suggest the Sussexes were “testing the water” with the move.
The Sussexes are keeping their homes in Montecito, California; and Portugal, while the duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from their new base.
Meghan’s net approval rating in the UK slipped to minus 43 in the second quarter of 2026 in a poll last month, her lowest yet in that system of measurement.
According to YouGov ratings, the Duchess of Sussex was liked by 18 percent and disliked by 61 percent in the three months from April to June, down from the first quarter when she was liked by 26 percent and disliked by 47 percent, a net approval of minus 21.
Hard truths about the ‘Disneyland’ Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know
01:00 , Jane DaltonBy long-term resident Julian Linley:
13 truths about the Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know if they move there
'Return can't happen if keeping us safe is impossible' – Harry in 2023
Thursday 20 August 2026 23:59 , Jane DaltonIn December 2023, in a witness statement read to the High Court during his legal challenge against the Home Office, the duke wrote: “The UK is my home. The UK is central to the heritage of my children and a place I want them to feel at home as much as where they live at the moment in the US.
“That cannot happen if it’s not possible to keep them safe when they are on UK soil.
“I cannot put my wife in danger like that and, given my experiences in life, I am reluctant to unnecessarily put myself in harm’s way too.”
Daily Mail v Prince Harry: The failed claims brought by the duke and other stars as court costs to be decided
Thursday 20 August 2026 23:45 , Dan HaygarthThe Duke of Sussex and six other household names will learn on Friday how many millions of pounds they must pay the Daily Mail publisher after their failed legal action.
Prince Harry, alongside other prominent public figures including Sir Elton John, his husband David Furnish, and campaigner Baroness Doreen Lawrence, took Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) to court alleging it had engaged in or commissioned unlawful information gathering to find material for stories.
ANL strongly denied the claims, which included hiring private investigators to install listening devices in cars, "blagging" private records, and accessing private phone conversations. After an 11-week trial in London earlier this year, Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed all the cases, with ANL citing it as an “overwhelming victory”.
Read more:
Daily Mail v Prince Harry: The failed claims brought by the duke and other stars
Why did Prince Harry sue the Daily Mail publisher? The duke’s legal battle in full
Thursday 20 August 2026 23:20 , Dan HaygarthWhy did Prince Harry sue the Daily Mail publisher? The duke’s legal battle in full
More people oppose Sussexes' return than support it
Thursday 20 August 2026 23:00 , Jane DaltonA new YouGov poll, carried out the day after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s surprise U-turn was revealed, showed 33 per cent of people believed Harry and Meghan should not move back to the UK, while 45 per cent did not know.
Less than a quarter (21 per cent) were in favour of the Sussexes relocating to the UK from the US.
The poll surveyed 5,810 adults.
Where could Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet go to school in the UK?
Thursday 20 August 2026 22:00 , Bryony Gooch
Where could Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet go to school in the UK?
Questions remaining as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are set to return to the UK
Thursday 20 August 2026 21:00 , Bryony Gooch- Why are Harry and Meghan moving back to the UK?
- Where they are moving to?
- Who will pay for their security?
- Will Harry and William reconcile?
- Which schools will Archie and Lili attend?
Trump’s Maga allies mock Harry and Meghan over return to UK
Thursday 20 August 2026 20:00 , Bryony GoochA number of Donald Trump’s MAGA allies have mocked Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on social media after reports suggested their decision to leave the United States is partly because of their dislike of President Donald Trump.
Read more here:
Trump’s MAGA allies mock Harry and Meghan over return to UK
Return could backfire if Harry and Meghan fail to learn from mistakes – PR guru
Thursday 20 August 2026 19:00 , Bryony GoochThe Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s return to the UK could backfire if they fail to come up with a different script as to how they conduct their lives, a PR expert has warned.
Mark Borkowski branded Harry and Meghan’s bombshell news “extraordinary”, and suggested the royal family will not want them “back in the camp”.
He also said the U-turn raised a raft of questions as to how the couple would pay for their lifestyle, how their security will operate and be funded, and what Meghan will do in the UK.
The public relations and crisis expert said: “If we’re going to see the typical Harry and Meghan three-ring circus, then we know what happens when that is played out.
“That leads to massive disruption, and ultimately if they’re going to use the same tools in the same way – they’ve got to come up with a different play and a different script – that’s just repeating the sins of the past.”
He added: “If they’re bringing that whole spin machine with them, then it is going to backfire.”
Say what you like about Harry and Meghan, their timing is impeccable
Thursday 20 August 2026 18:00 , Bryony GoochThe Sussexes’ surprise decision to do a ‘Megflip’ six years after moving to California comes not a moment too soon for the couple, says Harry Mount – let’s hope they’re doing it for the right reasons
Read more here:
Say what you like about Harry and Meghan, their timing is impeccable
Harry and Meghan's UK security funding a private matter, says Andy Burnham
Thursday 20 August 2026 17:00 , Bryony GoochIn pictures: Memorial to late Diana at Althorp House, where Prince Harry and Meghan visited recently
Thursday 20 August 2026 16:30 , Bryony Gooch13 truths about Disneyland Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know
Thursday 20 August 2026 16:00 , Bryony GoochAs it is announced that Harry and Meghan are to return to live in the UK, speculation is mounting that they could move to the Cotswolds. Good luck with that, says long-time resident Julian Linley, who pulls back the curtain on what life is really like beyond the Disney-esque fantasy...
Read more here:
13 truths about the Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know if they move there




