Questions over who will pay for Harry and Maghan’s security on return to UK

WorldPolitics
21 Aug 2026 • 2:15 PM MYT
The Independent
The Independent

The world’s most free-thinking newspaper

Questions over who will pay for Harry and Maghan’s security on return to UK

Uncertainty surrounds who will fund security for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex upon their planned return to the UK, coming as Prince Harry prepares to learn the exact legal costs he must pay over his High Court lawsuit against the Daily Mail’s publisher.

It was revealed on Wednesday that Harry and Meghan are set to reside at a non-royal residence located outside of London, having already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet at British schools.

Decisions regarding whether taxpayers will foot the bill for their protection remain unanswered, as does the precise reason for their move, with the Sussexes yet to issue any public comment.

Declining to be drawn on the Sussexes’ safety arrangements in the UK, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the funding for their protection as a "private matter".

Harry has been locked in a protracted legal battle with the Home Office over protective security arrangements for himself and his family, following alterations to his level of protection when he stepped down as a working royal in 2020.

By the end of June, he remained waiting for a review by the Risk Management Board — part of the process through which the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) decides his security requirements — while his security detail worked to ensure his July visit could take place safely.

Individual decisions on protective security for key public figures, including royal family members, are determined by Ravec, which comprises the Home Office, Metropolitan Police, and Royal Household, advising an independent chairperson.

As the fallout of their announcement continued, Harry and six other household names were set to find out how many millions of pounds they will have to pay to the Daily Mail’s publisher in legal costs.

The high-profile figures, including Baroness Doreen Lawrence and Sir Elton John, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over allegations of unlawful information-gathering, but Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed all the cases in a judgment last month.

The Duke of Sussex faces a legal bill over his court action against ANL (Aaron Chown/PA)

Mr Justice Nicklin is to give his decision on the size of an initial payment the group will make to ANL, with the court previously being told the total costs were more than £34 million.

Harry and Meghan’s decision to relocate to the UK was only relayed to the King three days before the bombshell news went public on Wednesday night.

The Sussexes decamped to California more than six years ago amid the turbulent Megxit crisis, which was followed by ongoing family fallouts and a barrage of accusations fired at the Prince and Princess of Wales and the King and Queen Camilla.

Rumours have abounded as to where Harry and Meghan will choose to settle, with suggestions including rural locations in the Cotswolds in Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire, amid speculation over which schools they have chosen for their children.

The King is said to be glad to be able to spend more time with the Sussex family, but remains adamant they will not be working royals, and there is no half-in, half-out option.

Archie and Lili are expected to start at their new schools in early September.

There is a question mark over who will pay for the couple’s security (Jonathan Brady/PA)

There will be no photographs of the children when they start school and on their birthdays as for working royals, it is understood.

British media organisations have been instructed by the press regulator not to reveal the location of their new family home nor the children’s school.

The Prince and Princess of Wales have not reacted publicly to the news. William – the future king – is estranged from his brother following Harry’s controversial claims about the royal family in the wake of Megxit.

The Sussexes are keeping their homes in Montecito, California; and Portugal, while the duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from their new base.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved