LTO revokes, suspends 1,170 driver's licenses in road safety crackdown

WorldPolitics
5 Aug 2026 • 4:05 PM MYT
The Manila Times
The Manila Times

One of the longest-running English broadsheets in the Philippines

LTO revokes, suspends 1,170 driver's licenses in road safety crackdown

MANILA, Philippines — The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has revoked 679 driver's licenses and suspended 491 others since late last year as it intensified its crackdown on reckless motorists and other traffic violators.

LTO chief Markus Lacanilao said on Wednesday’s press conference that the agency has imposed a total of 1,170 administrative sanctions as of July 31, 2026, adding that more cases are expected to result in license suspensions or revocations once due process is completed.

"We have to observe due process in all cases, but we are confident that more driver's licenses will be revoked," he said.

Lacanilao cited several high-profile cases that resulted in severe penalties, including the lifetime revocation of the driver's license of the Land Cruiser driver involved in the fatal hit-and-run incident in San Juan, the revocation of the license of the driver implicated in the death of a police officer in Sampaloc, Manila, and the lifetime disqualification of the truck driver involved in a fatal road crash in Marikina City.

He said the LTO has also taken action against motorists involved in reckless driving, aggressive driving, illegal counterflow, transporting passengers in cargo beds, hit-and-run incidents and the unauthorized use of blinkers.

From May to August alone, the agency issued show-cause orders to 39 motorists for using unauthorized blinking lights, which are reserved exclusively for emergency and law enforcement vehicles.

Drivers under investigation are placed under preventive suspension, while their vehicles are alarmed to prevent their transfer or registration until the cases are resolved, according to the top LTO official.

Lacanilao also said the LTO has sanctioned several local officials accused of traffic violations, including the use of illegal blinkers and illegal counterflow.

Lacanilao said the LTO issued show-cause orders to 178 car and motorcycle dealers and suspended their accreditation following complaints over delayed issuance of Official Receipts and Certificates of Registration (OR/CR), preventing buyers from legally using their newly purchased vehicles.

He said investigations showed that some dealers delayed submitting registration documents to the LTO while others were found operating without the necessary accreditation.

The LTO head urged affected vehicle owners to file complaints with the agency, saying only a complaint letter, a valid identification card and a sales invoice are needed for the LTO to begin an investigation.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved