Pahang police deny claims of drug cartel in Genting Highlands

LocalPolitics
17 Aug 2026 • 5:20 PM MYT
The Sun Daily
The Sun Daily

For the latest news and features from Malaysia and the rest of the world.

Image from: Pahang police deny claims of drug cartel in Genting Highlands

Pahang police deny viral social media claims alleging that a large-scale drug cartel is operating without enforcement action in Genting Highlands.

KUANTAN: Pahang police have denied viral claims on social media that a large-scale drug cartel is operating in Genting Highlands, Bentong, without any enforcement action being taken.

Acting Pahang police chief Datuk Azry Akmar Ayob said police would conduct an investigation and take appropriate action if such illegal activity was detected.

“ If a police report involving illegal activity is lodged, we will immediately investigate and take appropriate action, regardless of the location,” he told a press conference at the Pahang Police Contingent Headquarters (IPK) here today.

Earlier, Azry Akmar witnessed the handover of duties for the Pahang Crime Prevention and Community Safety Department (JPJKK) chief post from ACP Muhammed Rizal Kamarudin to SAC Ahmad Sukarno Mohd Zahar.

In a recent post on Threads, a social media user claimed that a large-scale drug cartel was operating in the popular tourist destination.

The social media user claimed that no action had been taken despite several police reports being lodged.

In another development, Azry Akmar said the tanker driver involved in the accident that claimed two lives at Kilometre 9, Jalan Temerloh-Triang, near Kampung Lebak last Friday, would be remanded until tomorrow.

“The investigation paper will be referred to the Deputy Public Prosecutor’s Office today (for further action),” he said.

Azry Akmar said the 37-year-old driver was being investigated under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for causing death by reckless or dangerous driving.

“The identities of both victims were confirmed through deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) testing as Nur Fatima Abdullah, 39, and her son, Muhamad Fattah Aisy Nuafal Saifulnizam, 12,” he said.

The media reported that Nur Fatima and her son were burnt to death after the car they were travelling in was hit by a tanker carrying 32,000 litres of diesel and petrol, causing it to catch fire, while the driver escaped with minor injuries.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved