Rory McIlroy warns LIV Golf players face ‘tough road back’ to PGA Tour

20 Aug 2026 • 4:54 AM MYT
The Independent
The Independent

The world’s most free-thinking newspaper

Rory McIlroy warns LIV Golf players face ‘tough road back’ to PGA Tour

Rory McIlroy has cautioned any LIV Golf players hoping to rejoin the PGA Tour that they face a "tough, tough road back".

The breakaway circuit’s future has been thrown into doubt after Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund decided to withdraw its financial support at the conclusion of this season.

Although organisers are searching for fresh backing to keep the series running, significant uncertainty remains over whether its biggest names will stay. Jon Rahm is reportedly set to exit, mirroring Brooks Koepka’s departure last year, while the futures of Bryson DeChambeau, Tyrrell Hatton and Cameron Smith are also up in the air.

The instability deepened on Monday when LIV called off its season-ending Team Championships in Michigan, meaning this week’s event in Indianapolis will mark the final tournament under its current format.

Jon Rahm is reportedly considering his future (Getty)

Addressing whether returning players would add value to established tours ahead of the BMW Championship in St Louis, the world number two said on Wednesday: "Have they brought value to LIV? I think the PGA Tour’s in a really good spot.

"Eventually, yes, maybe. Eventually they will, if they play the golf. I’m not part of these discussions, but I’m pretty sure they’re not going to be welcomed back straight away.

"If they were offered this returning member programme back in February, the one that Brooks took, then yes, maybe, but that has sort of come and gone.

"I think it was said at the time that the deal that they might get going forward, if they do decide to come back, isn’t going to be as good as the one that Brooks got. I would say it’s going to be a tough, tough road back."

The Northern Irishman also reiterated his longstanding opposition to the rival league.

"I feel like I’ve kept my position consistent that LIV has never been a good thing for the game.

"Were there things at the start of LIV that the PGA Tour could have done better?

"Sure, but I’ve always felt like this is the best place to play professional golf. And I’m pretty sure if the PGA Tour was handed six billion ( US dollars) it would have done a better job with it."

Read More

LIV Golf chief admits rebel league in race against time to finalise new funding deal

Rory McIlroy shares his goal for the BMW Championship after recent struggles

LIV Golf season to end early as final event cancelled

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved