Sainz seals new contract with F1 team Williams

19 Aug 2026 • 10:34 PM MYT
The Sun Daily
The Sun Daily

For the latest news and features from Malaysia and the rest of the world.

Image from: Sainz seals new contract with F1 team Williams

Carlos Sainz signs a multi-year contract extension with Williams F1 team, committing to their long-term rebuild alongside teammate Alex Albon.

LONDON: Carlos Sainz signed a “multi-year” contract extension with Formula One team Williams on Wednesday to quash speculation about his future.

Sainz agreed to stay at Williams just 24 hours after the British team confirmed his team-mate Alex Albon will be retained for the 2027 campaign.

The former Ferrari and McLaren driver has endured a disappointing season so far.

But the four-time Grand Prix winner, who has failed to score a point at the last six rounds, has elected to remain with Williams for the foreseeable future.

“I’m thrilled to announce my continued journey with the Williams family,” the 31-year-old said.

“I truly believe in the people that form this team, both at the factory and at the racetracks, and the investments and hard work that are happening in the background.

“We have what it takes to turn this around together. I’m as committed as I was on day one to helping get Williams back to where it belongs, and I look forward to creating more memories with the team.”

Sainz’s decision comes ahead of this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix and was a relief to Williams team principal James Vowles.

Williams failed to make the first pre-season test, and their car has been uncompetitive throughout the opening half of the campaign.

“Carlos is a leader of this team, and I’m thrilled that he can see what’s possible as we continue to rebuild it,” Vowles said.

“Carlos shares the belief and ambition we have at Williams and is pushing every day to deliver it.

“Along with Alex, I truly believe we have one of the strongest line-ups on the grid, and a team capable of fighting for every ounce of performance together.”

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved