
PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has directed the Department of Energy (DOE) to implement its waste-to-energy (WTE) program within 18 months, following the “sea of trash” caused by heavy monsoon rains last week.
During his inspection of the clearing and waste collection operation at the Diokno Pumping Station in Pasay City, Marcos recognized that while the program is not easy to do, the technical aspects of the technology have already been finalized.
“It’s not so easy to do because we have to put the system together — we have never done it before,” Marcos said.
“In terms of the technical side, that’s done ... now what we are trying to do is to put the system together,” he added.
The DOE told The Manila Times on Saturday that it has resumed activities for the Special Auction Round for WTE under the Green Energy Auction Program.
The agency raised its installation target from 230 megawatts (MW) to 400 MW and revised auction terms to encourage broader private sector investment.
“The Auction Proper is scheduled on Oct. 13, 2026, with winning bidders’ projects expected to achieve Mechanical Completion by the end of 2028 and begin delivering electricity by the end of 2029,” the DOE said.According to DOE estimates, Metro Manila generates around 9,000 metric tons of municipal solid waste daily, which could potentially support up to 200 MW of WTE capacity.
Energy Secretary Sharon Garin said the facilities for WTE must meet strict environmental safeguards while providing a reliable way to manage residual waste and generate useful energy.
“We want projects that are technically sound, environmentally compliant, supported by sustainable feedstock, commercially viable, and capable of delivering electricity to the grid,” Garin said.
However, the department clarified that WTE technology is intended to complement, rather than replace, existing waste reduction, segregation, reuse, recycling, and materials recovery efforts.





