12 arrested over alleged ‘Chinese medium’ scam

14 Aug 2026 • 10:05 AM MYT
Daily Express
Daily Express

Daily Express Online (Malaysia) is Sabah's top-ranked & most viewed English news site. It is also Sabah's leading & most circulated daily English newspaper.

12 arrested over alleged  ‘Chinese medium’ scam

Kota Kinabalu: Police have detained 12 people, including seven Chinese women, over an alleged “Chinese-medium” scam linked to losses of about RM600,000.

State DCP Datuk Mohd Azhar Hamin said the suspects, comprising 10 women and two men, were believed to be linked to a syndicate that had been operating since early this year.

He said the syndicate allegedly offered fortune-telling, traditional treatment and rituals to remove bad luck.

The arrests were made during raids in Kota Kinabalu, Penampang, Keningau and Kota Belud last Saturday and Sunday by the Sabah Police Commercial Crime Investigation Department, with assistance from district commercial crime investigation teams.

Mohd Azhar said four suspects were detained during raids in Kota Kinabalu and Keningau on Saturday, while eight more, including seven Chinese women, were detained in Kota Belud the following day.

He said the syndicate allegedly approached victims by offering traditional medicine, treatment for illnesses or rituals to remove bad luck.

The suspects would then introduce another woman who claimed she could tell fortunes, provide treatment or perform rituals.

“Victims were persuaded to hand over cash or jewellery, supposedly for prayers, incantations or rituals.

“The money or jewellery would then be taken away or replaced with other items placed inside a plastic bag or another bag,” he said.

Mohd Azhar said victims were usually told not to open the bag for a certain period, giving the suspects time to escape.

The syndicate is believed to be linked to at least five or six reported cases in Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Sandakan since early this year, with total losses estimated at about RM600,000.

The cases are being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code.

Police also seized 13 mobile phones, 13 SIM cards, seven passports and about RM20,000 in Malaysian ringgit, Chinese renminbi and Thai baht.

Five vehicles — a Perodua Alza, Proton X50, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Land Cruiser and Honda HR-V — were also seized.

Mohd Azhar said the suspects linked to the Kota Kinabalu case had been remanded until Aug 14, with the investigation referred to the Deputy Public Prosecutor.

Charges relating to the Kota Kinabalu case were expected to be filed the following day, while charges linked to the Sandakan case were scheduled for the following week.

He advised the public not to trust individuals offering treatment, fortune-telling or rituals to remove bad luck in exchange for cash or jewellery.

“Anyone who detects such suspicious activities should immediately lodge a police report.

“Those who believe they have fallen victim to a syndicate using the same modus operandi should also come forward to assist investigations,” he said.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved