Boy, 13, dies after fountain collapses during Spain World Cup celebrations

FootballSports
20 Jul 2026 • 4:39 PM MYT
Malay Mail
Malay Mail

Latest Malaysia breaking stories on politics, analysis and opinions

Malay Mail

MADRID, July 20 — A teenager died and several people were injured during celebrations of Spain’s victory in the World Cup after a fountain collapsed in the west of the country, local authorities and media said on Monday.

“The city hall of Ciudad Rodrigo expresses its sadness and presents its condolences for the death of a boy of 13,” the municipality said in a Facebook post.

“What should have been a celebration of Spain’s team in the football World Cup turned into tragedy,” it said, adding that several others were injured.

“A few minutes after 12:30 am local time, rescue services received calls over a fountain collapsing on numerous people,” emergency services said in a post on X, adding that another youth had been injured.

Local media reported that the fountain collapsed under the weight of numerous people who had climbed onto it to celebrate Spain’s first World Cup victory since 2010 in the football-mad nation. — AFP

 

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved