DPWH allots P1B for dike construction in Navotas

LocalEnvironment
20 Aug 2026 • 12:05 AM MYT
The Manila Times
The Manila Times

One of the longest-running English broadsheets in the Philippines

DPWH allots P1B for dike construction in Navotas

TO minimize flooding, particularly in Navotas City’s coastal villages, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) announced on Wednesday that it has proposed allocating P1 billion from the 2027 national budget to construct dikes that will contain floodwaters.

Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon assured Mayor John Rey Tiangco and his brother, Rep. Toby Tiangco, that the agency would use the money to construct dikes, which may take a year to complete.

The mayor accompanied Dizon to inspect the flood control facilities, particularly in Barangay Daanghari, where a pumping station and other flood-mitigation structures are being developed to flush out floodwater and speed up flood reduction in the area.

He first visited the site in November 2025 following President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s directive to address severe flooding in the northern city, particularly in communities located near the coast.

Dizon said six pumps have been repaired and are operational, and three more pumps are expected to be opened in the coming weeks.

The additional pumping capacity is expected to help mitigate flooding that previously reached beyond waist level in some parts of the area, the top agency official said.

The secretary also identified the construction of a second navigation gate as a major next step for the city’s flood-control system.

He said the Navotas lawmaker showed him a video of the existing navigation gate nearly overflowing during the recent heavy rains.

While the gate did not overflow, the incident showed the need for an additional gate, he added.

Dizon said the second navigation gate will take time to complete.

Thus, he ordered continuous cleaning and maintenance of the pumping stations and other flood control facilities to ensure their optimal operation, especially during periods of heavy rainfall.

He said the DPWH began working with the Tiangcos last year to identify and prioritize the city’s flood-control needs.

“Because of that coordination, there is an immediate effect this year,” he said.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved