PNP intensifies online crackdown on Zamboanga shooting photos, videos

WorldPolitics
20 Aug 2026 • 2:05 AM MYT
The Manila Times
The Manila Times

One of the longest-running English broadsheets in the Philippines

PNP intensifies online crackdown on Zamboanga shooting photos, videos

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group to strengthen coordination with social media platforms in taking down all photos and videos of the fatal Aug. 18 shooting incident at the Ateneo de Zamboanga University (AdZU) junior high school campus.

Because the incident was live streamed by the minor who carried out the gun attack, Nartatez said that wants to ensure that netizens, particularly minors, will no longer have access and capability to re-post and share any video and screenshots in connection with the incident.

“This is an unfortunate incident that should be treated with utmost sensitivity, especially that there were minors involved in the content. Let us all be compassionate over this tragedy and it starts by showing respect and becoming responsible netizens,” Nartatez said in an interview. 

“We appeal to everyone to refrain from sharing or reposting the videos and photos of the incident. These materials can cause further distress to the victims, their families and the public, and may also interfere with the ongoing investigation,” he added.

Nartatez said the PNP-ACG and other concerned units were already directed to monitor and report the spread of sensitive videos online. 

Following the incident on Tuesday, police teams were sent to the AdZU to respond and conduct an investigation to come up with a clear picture of what happened. 

One of the key aspects of the investigation, according to Nartatez, was how the minor was able to smuggle two firearms inside the school.

"By the content it’s violent hindi ba pertaining to killing, violence, may dugo so kailangan ba mapunta roon that’s why our SILG, our PNP is investigating it properly,” Nartatez said. 

“First, the motivation of this minor is to shoot a fellow minor and kill himself afterwards. If there is motivation, we are looking into the friends, family, we are looking into his habits and we are looking at physical evidence like the firearms papaano ginamit, how napunta sa kanya,” he said. 

(By the content it's violent doesn't it pertain to killing, violence, there is blood so does it need to go there that's why our SILG, our PNP is investigating it properly. First, the motivation of this minor is to shoot a fellow minor and kill himself afterward. If there is motivation, we are looking into the friends, family, we are looking into his habits and we are looking at physical evidence like the firearms how they were used, how they ended up with him). Those are the questions that should be answered based on our theories,” Nartatez told reporters.

Education Secretary Sonny Angara said it is difficult to determine the actual motive of the shooter yet. Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said there had been witnesses that the shooter was likewise exposed to violent online games that may have influenced him to carry out the attack. 

Nartatez said the investigation will go beyond the actual gun attack to determine all the circumstances that prompted the minor to carry out the attack.

 “We have to dig deeper into this matter, especially that this is not the first time that this tragedy happened. Our focus is to check if there’s a pattern or identify intervention measures to prevent the repeat of this kind of incident,” said Nartatez.

The PNP has been closely working with the Department of Education in coming up with measures that will ensure the safety of all schools and other learning spaces across the country.

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved