Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court

22 Aug 2026 • 2:19 PM MYT
The Vibes
The Vibes

Featuring breaking news & latest stories from every side.

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court

A 47-YEAR-OLD woman was killed after an iron pole collapsed and struck her head when a car crashed into a food court in Bandar Mahkota Cheras early Saturday.

Kajang district police chief Assistant Commissioner Naazron Abdul Yusof said the incident occurred at about 1.15am and involved a car and the woman, who was a pedestrian.

Preliminary investigations found that the 35-year-old driver had allegedly pressed the accelerator, causing the vehicle to enter the dining area of the food court before turning back towards the exit.

“At the same time, the victim, a 47-year-old woman, is believed to have run towards the vehicle in an attempt to prevent or stop it.

“However, the car collided with an iron pole, causing the pole to collapse and strike the victim on the head,” he said in a statement on Saturday.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel after suffering severe head injuries.

The driver was also injured and taken to hospital for treatment and for samples to be taken.

Naazron said the driver had been arrested and checks found that he had no previous criminal record.

“He is still receiving treatment at hospital,” he said.

The case is being investigated under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless or dangerous driving causing death.

If convicted, the offender faces imprisonment of between five and 10 years, a maximum fine of RM50,000 and disqualification from holding a driving licence for at least five years.

Police have urged anyone with information about the incident to contact the nearest police station or Kajang District Police Headquarters traffic investigating officer Inspector Mohd Raziman Rasid at 019-456 5502 to assist the investigation.

Naazron also advised all road users to remain vigilant, drive responsibly and comply with traffic regulations for the safety of everyone. - August 22, 2026

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved