Separate fires displace 71 families in Manila

30 Jul 2026 • 12:04 AM MYT
The Manila Times
The Manila Times

One of the longest-running English broadsheets in the Philippines

Separate fires displace 71 families in Manila

AT least 71 families, or 218 individuals, were displaced after separate fires struck Pandacan and Tondo districts, both in Manila, early Wednesday morning, authorities said.

The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) said the first fire broke out at Building 1 of Residencias de Manila on Jesus Street, Barangay 830, Zone 90, Pandacan, at about 3:40 a.m.

The blaze, which involved a four-story residential condominium, was raised to the first alarm at 3:51 a.m., the second alarm at 3:55 a.m., and the third alarm at 4:43 a.m.

Firefighters placed the fire under control at 7:59 a.m., before declaring the fire out call at 9:05 a.m.

According to the District Welfare Office VI, the fire affected 39 families, or 96 individuals. Twenty-five residential units were totally damaged, while 14 sustained partial damage.

Displaced residents were temporarily accommodated at the Barangay 830 Covered Court in South Nagtahan.

Following the fire, BFP National Capital Region Regional Director Fire Chief Supt. Roy Roderick Aguto inspected the scene with Manila Fire District officials led by Fire Senior Supt. Eddie Tanawan.

The BFP said post-fire investigation and mopping-up operations were conducted to determine the fire’s point of origin and cause, preserve physical evidence, eliminate remaining hazards, and ensure the area was safe for nearby residents.

Meanwhile, another broke out in Barangay 185, Zone 16 along Benita Street in Gagalangin, Tondo.

The fire, reported at about 4:11 a.m., reached the third alarm before it was declared fire out at 5:32 a.m., according to the District Welfare Office II.

The incident affected 32 families, or 122 individuals. Authorities said 27 houses were destroyed while five were partially damaged.

The causes of both fires remain under investigation. No casualties or injuries had been reported as of press time.  DAN MADRAZO

Newswav Malaysia Best News App

Newswav is an online content aggregator and obtains its content from different online sources. The content in the app do not belong to Newswav nor do they reflect the opinions of Newswav and its staff. Your use of this app indicates your understanding and acceptance of this information.

Newswav Sdn. Bhd. (201701008480 (1222645-M)) 2026 All Rights Reserved